Uganda commonly referred to as the pearl of Africa for its beautiful vegetation landscape and wildlife is increasingly becoming the business hub for investment in especially Agriculture, Information Technology, Mining and Tourism among others.
The Information Technology (IT) and Information Technology Enabled Services (ITES) sectors have increasingly attracted international companies and likewise local companies have invested in the sectors providing services to local and international communities. The government has continued to provide an enabling environment as well as investment in innovation hubs, incubators and ICT (Information Communications and Technology) Parks.
In an unprecedented move the IT & ITES sector associations and their members in collaboration with government of Uganda and the International Trade Centre (ITC) have taken a step to engage the regional and global market in trade in these sectors.
Uganda presents a fast growing destination with several opportunities for both local and foreign investors into the BPO/ITES Sector. These include;
- Strong Executive that has ensured a predictable economic environment;
- Good Macro –Economic Policies; (Growth rate at average 5% for the past 10 years)
- Fully liberalized economy – Foreign Exchange liberalized;
- Sector Regulatory Authorities in place – (National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U), Uganda Communications Commission (UCC).
- Excellent climate all year round;
- Competitive cost of labour;
- The skills base is solid – a total of 24 Ugandan recognized Universities produce over 40,000 graduates annually who are ICT savvy;
- Improved infrastructure across the country (Electricity, Roads, Railway and Real estate);
- Enabling regulatory environment in place to protect investors in ICT;
- Welcoming/Hospitable population with excellent command of English language. English is Uganda’s business and official language and also the medium of education from primary to tertiary level.
- Favorable time zone ( GMT+3)